Stage 2 Fire Restrictions Are In Effect
As of noon on Thursday, June 14th Stage 2 Fire Restrictions are in effect. In a cooperative effort with the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests, Gunnison Ranger District, and the United States National Park Service, the Gunnison County Sheriff announced that Stage 2 Fire Restrictions are in effect for all unincorporated areas of Gunnison County as of Thursday. We all aware of the incredibly dry, warm conditions we have faced this spring, going into summer. This has created extremely high fire danger in Gunnison County as well as many other areas of Colorado.
So what does this mean and how can we help prevent wildfires? Understanding the restriction is important for everyone. Here is a list of PROHIBITED activities:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire. This includes charcoal grills and barbecues, coal and wood burning stoves and sheepherder’s stoves and includes use in developed camping and picnic grounds. Exceptions: Devices using pressurized liquid or gas (stoves or lanterns) that include shut-off valves are permitted when used in an area at least three feet or more from flammable materials such as grasses or pine needles.
- Smoking. Except: Within enclosed vehicle, trailer or building.
- Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
- Operating or using any internal combustion engine (e.g. chainsaw, generator, ATV) without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order meeting either:
(a) Department of Agriculture, Forest Service Standard 5100-1a; or
(b) Appropriate Society of automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended practice J335(b) and J350(a).
- Operating a chainsaw without an approved spark arresting device as prescribed in Prohibition #4, a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher (8oz. capacity by weight or larger and kept with the operator) and a round point shovel with an overall length of at least 35 inches readily available for use.
- Using an explosive. This includes but is not limited to fuses or blasting caps, fireworks, rockets, exploding targets, and tracers or incendiary ammunition. Except: The City of Gunnison 4th of July fireworks display shall be allowed unless further restricted by the Board. The 3rd/4th of July Crested Butte and Mt. Crested Butte professional fireworks display has been cancelled.
- Possessing or using a motor vehicle off established roads, motorized trails or established parking areas, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the vehicle.
Please be extra careful out there as this warm, dry weather continues and the fire danger remains high. For more information on the State 2 Fire Restrictions, please click here.
For more information on Crested Butte events, festivals, news and real estate, please visit www.crestedbuttecollection.com.