We are having beautiful 70 to 75 degree days now as summer has officially arrived. Just one of the great event happening this summer is the Crested Butte Musical Festival which will last well over a month. Make sure you make it during the best time of the summer and enjoy everything we have to offer. If you are interested in Crested Butte real estate contact me anytime.
Benson Sotheby’s International Realty
The 2011 Crested Butte Music Festival (CBMF) will feature more than 100 performers in concert halls, barns, churches and stunning mountain homes and outdoor stages from July 3 – Aug. 14, making it one of the most exciting festivals of its kind. Over six weeks, there is something for everyone, from opera and symphony to bluegrass and gypsy jazz.
- Boston Brass will kick off the festival with concerts on July 3 and 4, including a free outdoor patriotic concert at the Town Park to celebrate Independence Day.
- Icons of the American folk music scene, The Kingston Trio, will headline the annual Celebration fund-raiser on July 16.
- The hilarious comedy-duo à la Victor Borge, Igudesman & Joo, will perform the U.S. premiere of A Big Nightmare Music on July 17, combining comedy with classical music and popular culture.
- Jens Georg Bachmann, festival music director, conducting Beethoven’s “Symphony No. 1” at the popular Have a Beer with Beethoven at the Lacy Barn on July 21.
- The world-famous opera “Carmen” by Georges Bizet will be conducted by David Syrus, head of music for London’s Royal Opera of Covent Garden, and directed by Sarah Meyers, guest stage director for The Metropolitan Opera. Outstanding talent from the Met and around the country will perform on July 28, July 29 and Aug. 9.
- The theremin is the unique instrument for 2011 and will be played by Rob Schwimmer, who also is a virtuoso jazz pianist. Schwimmer will be the featured artist at the July 31 Hitchcock In Paradise concert.
- Gypsy Jazz In Paradise presented by CBMF and DjangoFestTM celebrates legendary French/Belgian gypsy jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt with the convergence of well-known performers from around the world in Mt. Crested Butte on Aug. 12 – 14.
- Five home soirées offering the ultimate in intimate performances in beautiful mountain homes are planned for Tuesday evenings from July 5 – Aug. 2.
- The free Divine Family Young People’s Concerts bring families together for five performances from July 8 – Aug. 7 ranging from bluegrass to the children’s opera “Cinderella.”
Bluegrass In Paradise
CBMF will present the second annual Bluegrass In Paradise festival on July 5 – 10, with 12 bands performing on July 9 – 10 and an expanded Bluegrass Kids Camp for ages 7 to 17 on July 5 – 8. All activities will be held at Crested Butte Mountain Resort in Mt. Crested Butte.
Local newgrass great Drew Emmitt will serve as the festival’s host, welcoming big names like Ralph Stanley & His Clinch Mountain Boys, Keller & The Keels, Sierra Hull & Highway 111, and The Kruger Brothers. Emmitt will perform in The Paradise All-Star Band, a compilation of musicians he will bring together from the Drew Emmitt Band, The Kruger Brothers, Nashville Bluegrass Band and The Josh Williams Band. The concerts start at noon each day and conclude at 9 p.m. For detailed information and tickets, visit www.bluegrassinparadise.com.
Festival Schedule, Tickets & Lodging
Visit www.crestedbuttemusicfestival.com to review a full schedule, including prices and locations, and to purchase tickets online. For more information, call (970) 349-0619.
Crested Butte Mountain Resort and Crested Butte Lodging are the official lodging partners of the Crested Butte Music Festival.